Monday, September 27, 2021

Pumpkin Butter


 Love pumpkins, can't you tell?

I have already been chewed out by a jam and jelly group on Facebook. I am fully aware of the USDA's warning about canning pumpkin butter. But, I am looking for some brave soul who did what I did. I made pumpkin butter, put it into 4 ounce Ball jars, used my canning pressure cooker. When I removed the jars, I carefully opened one and tested its temperature. It was 240°. I call that temperature safe-to-eat. I ate it, my family devoured it and I'm ready to do it again.

Has anyone tried this?  I am proposing that you all run out and do this. Just curious about anyone doing small wee jars and succeeding in producing a safe product.

 
 
 
 
 Apple butter is also on the to-do list this fall as my SIL loves it. So, apples it is. What varieties have you used? From your own orchards, farmers market? Recipes or techniques to share?


No comments:

Post a Comment

 Last Friday I enjoyed a warm summer day--just right temp in the 70ºs. During that night, the sky opened and it's been raining ever sinc...